Public Works Administration
The mandate of the Administrative Services Section is to provide support services to all Public Works personnel at the Works Yard in the following major areas:
- Dispatch Operation
- Administrative Services
- Communications Technical Services
- 24 hour Dispatch Operation which records and relays a variety of messages, instructions and enquiries between the public, field crews and supervisory staff.
- Administrative Services provides word processing services, training coordination, coordination/preparation of the annual operating budget and general administrative support to all Public Works Staff.
- Communications Technical Services is responsible for:
- Maintenance of the full Works Yard communications system, which consists of more than 400 radio units including mobile, portable and desk top models.
- Maintenance of the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) System which is a radio-controlled computerized monitoring system. This system monitors all 180 of our pumping stations throughout the island. These include sewage, water, storm drain, dyke stations, water pressure sensors and road temperature sensors.
- Maintenance of our life line monitoring systems (i.e., calibration of gas sniffing devices used by staff prior to entering a manhole). Monitoring devices on all pump stations, along with metal detectors and other specialized equipment.
- Installation of various intercoms and sound systems in a variety of City buildings.